Before starting the pairing process, you will need to generate a Published Learning Package in Rhapsode Curator™ (or have a Published Learning Package, sample below)
When the file is open it looks like this:
Go to article How Do I Generate a Published Learning Package to learn more.
Once you have your Published Learning Package follow these steps:
- Log in to Canvas
- Start a new course or open a current course.
- Ensure the course is Published: (Click Publish and on the next dialogue box, select what you would like your course homepage to be. Then click choose and publish to complete this step).
Note: This step is often missed, please ensure that the course is published for a successful pairing.
- Add the External Tool: Select Settings then select the Apps tab and click View App Configurations.
- Enter the Information from your Published Learner Package: Click the +App button. Select manual entry to copy and paste the information from your Published Learner Package: Consumer Key, Launch URL, and Shared Secret.
- Determine Privacy: You can select anonymous or public for privacy settings. It’s a best practice to set privacy as public if you want to fully use the analytics and data in Rhapsode Educator™
Note: Selecting Public won’t expose sensitive student data. This only allows the student’s names and emails to flow into your secured Rhapsode Educator™ account where you will be able to analyze student performance by reviewing reports in your Rhapsode Educator™ Dashboard.
You can change these settings at any time but in order for the student information to flow into Rhapsode Educator™ the student would need to log into Canvas and click an assignment after the settings have been updated . (here is a comparison of learner data as “anonymous” vs “public.”)
- Confirm all the information has been added from the Published Learning Package and that you have selected the privacy settings and click “Submit”
- Create Your Rhapsode Learner™ Assignment: Go to the Assignment dashboard, click the “+” icon. In the Add Assignment to Assignments dialogue box, select External Tool for type; type in the assignment name, select due date, and assign points respectively.
- Click More Options for additional settings. Note: It is a best practice to ensure Rhapsode Learner™ assignments as a whole make up at least 10% of the total grade. Based on research on adaptive technology and learner performance, when an adaptive technology makes up at least 10% of the overall grade, individual student performance has increased on average 11%.*
- Submission Type: Select External tool, click Find and then select the assignment you just added to the External Tool. Click Select to complete this step. Once everything is finalized. Click Save to add your Rhapsode Learner™ assignment to Canvas.
- Publish Assignment to Ensure it is visible to your students: Click Assignment on the left menu, go to the Assignment Dashboard, find the assignment, click the grey circle on the right and click Publish.
- Student Experience: To see what your students will see, turn on Student View and navigate through the assignment.
Note: Student’s grades for their Rhapsode Learner™ assignments will flow directly into the Canvas grade book. If student’s grades are not populating in the grade book as they work through their Rhapsode Learner™ assignments, ensure that the settings in your Published Learner Package are correct as there is an option to have the grades flow over consistently or not until the assignment is complete.
The grades in the Canvas Gradebook will only have the percentages of completion for the Rhapsode Learner™ assignments, to dive in deeper into the analytics (most missed Learning Objectives, At Risk Students, etc.) Access the class in your Rhapsode Educator™ account (reference the help section: Higher Education: Overview of Reports and Analytics: Rhapsode Educator™ starting with the article: Area9 Rhapsode EDUCATOR™ Overview)
Watch the Video Walkthrough of the above steps: